Sunday, January 4, 2009

CPSIA and hand crafted items

I was on Etsy today and decided to check around the forums. I had no idea that I would be opening myself up to a storm that is brewing. Apparently congress passed a law for harsher testing on toys. Great!! After the "China" recalls last year who can blame us. Well, Congress decided to be grandiose and just keep on writing and included shoes, cds, toys, clothes, blankets, all items for children 12 and under.

So, what does that mean to you and me. It means that if congress doesn't change what they have written...1000's of small business owners will have to close their shops. Why...you ask. All items new and old have to be tested for lead.

1. Thrift stores are not going to be able to sell childrens items because those items haven't
been tested for lead.
2. All items for children 12 and under in Wal-mart, Target, K-Mart have to be tested by
Feb 10th if they are going to be able to sell them
3. All Homemakers who are making childrens items have to stop making them if they aren't
going to have them tested for lead.
4. Second hand book stores have to close down their children sections because those books
would need to have lead testing.

And guess what...it will be a felony to sell those items.

I am completely disturbed by this and am writing a letter to my congressman. I love hand crafted items. I love creating children and baby items and selling them. I am angry at the thought of not being able to do this any longer.

It saddens me that doll clothes, capes, aprons, shirts, pants, costumes...etc. Will not be allowed to be sold by the small business owner because I can't afford 3rd party lead testing. Where will our children get the things that spark their imagination. Certainly not from Walmart. A handcrafted toy evokes so much more than a plastic monstrosity bought at a super store.

I know... I know, I am ranting. If you are interested in finding out more I have added a link from etsy as well as a few others. Don't let this go...think of all the price hikes we are going to see in childrens toys because of this.


http://www.etsy.com/storque/craftivism/handmade-childrens-items-unintended-consequences-consumer-pr-3056/

http://www.cpsc.gov/

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.pdf.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I heard about this. Thanks for the reminder - I completely agree and will write my congressman.