Sunday, January 4, 2009

Slivers

Patrick and Chris were playing in the yard today with the dogs. We bought the dogs some tennis balls to play with and they were going crazy. Anyway, a few hours after they came in the house Patrick walks up to me and says..."Mom, I think I might have a sliver in my hand?" before I can even look he is starting to run around in a circle screaming "Noooo...not the needle". At this point, I haven't even seen the hand let alone grabbed an instrument of torture.

I finally grabbed him from one of his screaming laps around the room and sure enough he had a sliver, but not just one. There were about a dozen slivers in his hand. I asked him how he had done that and his first response was "I hate that deck outside..." next he said "you should just kill me, I know you are going to use the needle".

Now, I don't hold my kids down when they have an boo boo that needs attending. Patrick is claustrophobic (don't know where that came from, we think it's genetic since Chris is claustrophobic as well), and it just doesn't go well if we hold him down. So you have to coax him until he is ready. Promising cookies, candy, a trip to the lake, etc. this time a milkshake was promised and he came over. The lovely thing about Patrick is you can reason with him. He is a very smart child, and if you explain what you are doing and the end result he is usually very good about being tortured.

The first 6 came out easily with tweezers. No NEEDLES!!!! But, when it came time to get the little ones out I had to get the dreaded needle. Well, 20 minutes later we were able to touch the boy again. I gently put the needle next to his skin and he starts screaming like we were killing him. I am sure our neighbors were thinking about calling the cops. But then realized it was just Patrick. Another 15 minutes later and I finally got 3 more out. His hand is red now and blotchy and we told him we will get the rest out tomorrow.

It is an exhausting job and I try not to secretly smile since I am a "Picker". I love getting slivers out. It is a secret obsession. I try not to laugh a sadistic laugh and shout with joy when my children bring me their slivered fingers, feet, etc. Is that wrong? I know this sounds horrible, but I can't help it. I know it is wrong to derive joy from my children's pain, but oh well.

Secretly, I can't wait until tomorrow. HAHAHAHAHA!! Just kidding.

No comments: