Sunday, March 29, 2009

The kids are sick...

Well...it has happened. My kids aren't feeling well. I guess it has to happen sometime. We have always been very fortunate. I might take them to the doctor once a year. Well, I guess that time is here. Both Patrick and Megan have persistent coughs, and have for about a week.

I am a firm believer in letting things run their course and going as natural as possible. Too often children are given medicine they don't need without letting their bodies just work out the illness by itself. Now understand...I don't feel this way until they are over 2 years old because their bodies are fragile. After that I just let them work it out. Giving them Tylenol for discomfort. But 9 times out of 10, my kids don't get sick.

But, about a month and a half ago, I got sick (I never get sick). I was sick for a week and a half where I couldn't get out of bed and thank heaven Chris was home because he took care of the kids. I was then up and to the couch for about 3 or 4 days before I was actually cooking and taking care of the house again. I have never been so ill, and the kids sound like they are getting what I had. I know how sick I was and I don't want them to have something that lingered as long as my illness did.

Oddly enough, I read this thing on the internet about putting Vicks on their feet and putting socks on before they go to bed. It is supposed to help them stop coughing without using OTC cough syrup. I thought....sure that's gonna work. Well, I have to say, that it does work. I would do that and their coughs would be about 90% gone. AMAZING!! So, at least they are getting restful sleep. And...no drugs. YEAH!

Anyway...we are going to the doctor tomorrow (I just love going to the doctor...NOT) and we are probably going to get some Prescription cough syrup and maybe some antibiotics...fun. And, I just wanted to share my misery with everyone.

WHOOO HOOO!! Okay...I am pushing it now.

Anyway...for those of you wondering - we did not get any snow. We were supposed to, but nothing happened. Thank heaven. I am going to be planting my garden this week, and I didn't want to deal with a frozen dying garden.

Alright...now I am just rambling.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

I've tried the Vicks thing too, and worked for me! I usually forget about it until it's too late though because we don't usually get sick either. Poor Violet's been sick for more than a month though now, like she got a cold, and then another cold, and then the flu and then was all better for a week and now she's snotty and coughing again! She's fine, it's just a pain! And by the way, I read your blog and I love you!