Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Remembering

I remember what I was doing a year ago today. I remember talking to Laura after she had been with Grandma and writing down every word she said because I didn't want to forget a thing.

Things I remember that make me smile

Tootsie Pops
Dr Pepper
shopping with Grandma

**Collecting flowers at Grandpa's Grave site. I remember the children started picking flowers after the burial service and a woman walked up horrified to Grandma and said "Aren't you going to stop them?" her reply was "Joe doesn't need them and the kids will always remember" I do...I always remember.

I don't know if Laura and Krissy remember this, but we were with Grandma at the Hilldale house sitting in the living room talking. She went around the room and told each of us something she admired about us. For Krissy it was her beautiful red hair. With Laura it was her beautiful complexion and olive colored skin. When she got to me, I held my breath wondering what she would say about me. She said "Jennifer, I have always admired your eyebrows. They are perfectly shaped"
My reaction was "WHAT???" Every time I look at myself in the mirror I always giggle and think...Yep, they're perfect!!

I asked her once if I could name a daughter Lila. She told me don't do it...it's not a very pretty name. What I now know, is she already had a granddaughter in her back pocket. She knew that Becca was going to name her daughter Lila, and she didn't want to hurt my feelings.

Getting the speech at the Pit "When we are at home, I am your Grandma. When we are at work I am your Boss...now, get to work"

Watching Murder She Wrote
The smell of Lotion
The feel of her hands

Sitting in church next to Grandma as a child, I found out that Grandma didn't sing the hymns. She would only mouth the words. When I asked her why she didn't sing, she told me she enjoyed listening more than singing.

Playing with her locket, or pearls, or whatever jewelry she was wearing when sitting next to her in sacrament meeting.

I remember so many things. It makes me smile to think of her bossing around Grandpa, Uncle Frank and Jason. I miss her, but know she is so much better off.

Jason's birthday was Sunday, he would have been 35. Happy Birthday Jason...I love you, and I miss you.

3 comments:

krissy said...

Those were great memories of Grandma! I miss her and think of her often. I am so grateful that I had her as a Grandma for 36 years. She was a great example to all of us and hopefully we will all live our lives in a way that will make her proud. Love you!
Krissy
(the one with the beautiful red hair!:)

Ivy said...

I remember her pearls and locket too, I didn't until you reminded me though! Perfect eyebrows are nothing to sneeze at, I know plenty of women who would kill for even decent eyebrows!

joelandbecca said...

That is too cute about your eyebrows! And I remember always wondering why she didn't sing along. When I am a few years older I am going to use that reason.

That is funny about the name too, because she once told me that she had a few granddaughters that had promised to name their babies Lila, but I was her last firm committment. We all know why Laura didn't....I wonder who else she was talking about! We should make all the girls confess. Every time I tell people what we are planning on naming our girl they say "what a beautiful name" But, maybe all people say that and I am just partial.

Thanks for your sweet words!