Monday, January 18, 2010

Handmade Laundry Soap Recipe

I probably have the most allergic child in the world...poor Megan. I have tried every soap known to man. I have tried every laundry detergent. I even went to far as to use All Free and Clear which worked on getting the clothes clean, but unfortunately they don't smell clean.

I have been on the hunt for something new, and about 3 months ago I finally broke down and started making my own laundry detergent. It has a very light pleasant smell, and it gets the clothes clean. What is great, is it really doesn't cost that much, but it works better than most store bought detergents.

Here is the recipe:

2 bar Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated - I leave this soap in a very dry place for a few days so that it breaks down into tiny pieces when grated. I also use the finest grater.)
2 cup Washing Soda
2 cup Borax

* Mix well and store in an airtight container. I use a 1 gal pickle jar.
* Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

I keep an old Mason Jar by the washing machine. I put the 2 tablespoons of my laundry mixture in their with water, swish it around and then pour it into the machine. I then put the clothes in.

I have had no problems with Megan - she has incredibly sensitive skin and when she doesn't agree with something she will get angry red blotches on her skin and the skin will dry out. Which for my sweet girl is very painful.

Also FYI for those of you who get dry skin in the winter - we are now using a bar of dove soap. It puts moisture back into your skin. After we rinse off, I have a spray bottle full of baby oil. We lightly spray the baby oil on our skin, rub it in, and then rinse it off with water. This also helps the skin to maintain it's moisture.

Hope this is useful to you.

No comments: