Saturday, January 16, 2010

Making bread and lovin' it

It has been awhile since I posted...with my camera DOA it is difficult to post without pictures. But life goes on and soon tax time will come and I can get a new camera.

I just wanted to share a recipe with everyone, I have been making bread (a lot) and decided to share this great recipe I found. I find myself using my bread machine to make bread, but decided I really needed to make it from scratch using my own muscles. I found the following recipe, and I am hooked.

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour

Directions

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. (I mix in 5 cups of flour and then I knead the last cup of flour into the dough. I found that this gets all of the bubbles out of the dough) Knead dough until it is smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about an hour.

3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

This bread comes out beautifully - it is slightly sweet and wonderful with butter. I find myself making 4 loafs a week. The kids love it, and when it gets a little dry we make croutons out of it.

Enjoy!!

No comments: