Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our Christmas

Our Christmas was so nice...probably one of the nicest we've shared as a family. For once Chris was home with us for all of the preparations. Christmas Eve day we had Jason over and the kids literally ran through the house and outside for 4 solid hours (glory days). Grandpa came and picked up Jason (he had to, Santa was coming that night), and the anticipation of Santas arrival was terrible. We took silly pictures of the kids and made more "Elfyourself's". What a riot that was...they wanted to watch that over and over again.

Our dinner was homemade chicken fingers, mashed potatoes and corn. YUM!! And then we got bundled up and went in search of Christmas lights. After spending about an hour driving around through Forsyth, it was now time to go home and open one gift. The kids always get the same gift to open every christmas eve...brand new pajamas. One of the photos of "Our Christmas" has Patrick and Megan standing in front of our tree, back to back wearing these new pajamas. Then just a little nip of hot chocolate...brush your teeth and time for bed. But before we crawl into bed we have to check to see where Santa was last spotted. So, off the kids run to the computer to check it out.

At 2:15am Patrick woke up and Chris put him back to bed saying "Yes, Santa came but you need to get more sleep. 2:30am and then 2:45am...and finally Chris crawled in bed with him and they both went to sleep. About 7am I felt a little body crawl in and snuggle next to me. I rolled over and it was Megan. She smiled up at me and said "Morning Mama did you have good sleep?" The question we ask each other every morning. I told her I had...and then I said "So, did you check to see if Santa came last night" She was up with a shot!! She ran as fast as she could and checked out the tree. Patrick and Daddy got up and the unwrapping began. It is amazing how quickly children can unwrap presents.

At our house the kids get several presents from Mommy and Daddy, and Santa comes and leaves one present for them under the tree and always fills their stockings so nicely. We eat a quick breakfast and then head over to Grandma and Grandpas for more present opening. Grandpa always smokes a clod and a ham and makes barbecue sauce. YUMMY!!! We tried doing breakfast, but everyone likes the BBQ better.

My brothers were heaven sent with the presents they purchased our children this year. Money was tight and there were things the kids wanted, and like Angels my brothers made sure they purchased things for my kids that they knew they would love. John and Jessica got Megan a tinkerbell scarf, hat and blanket (Megan is huge into Tinkerbell), they got Patrick Batman slippers (too small so we took them back and Patrick chose a hulk mask to go with his hulk hands) and an awesome batman shirt (he loves it). Uncle Josh bought Megan Tinkerbell the movie and Patrick a zero gravity RC Car (he had been telling us for weeks that was what he wanted, but I had already invested in a electronic drum kit). Uncle Nate was so sweet. I had told him that Patrick really wanted to bonus disc to Kung Fu Panda - the Furious Five. He bought Kung Fu Panda and gave Patrick the bonus disc also buying him Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3-D (also on his list that we couldn't afford) for Megan he got her a Tinkerbell remote control flying toy. So Tink has been flying all over the house. It was a wonderful Christmas and I love my brothers desperately for making it so nice for my kids.

By 1pm Patrick is begging us to go home. He had everything he had asked for and more and now he needed to play with it. We loaded our bundles in the car and headed home around 3pm. It was a wonderful time at my folks house. Grandma purchases things through out the year and so the kids had a bounty from Grandma and Grandpa. But Patricks favorite gift from my Mom was a Transformer's Chess Set. He loves playing Chess and now he has a really cool chess set with Transformers on it.

It was a fantastic Christmas...the time we spent as a family was incredible. I loved having Chris around. The anticipation was more than the kids could bear. Chris read them the Christmas story and told them why we celebrate Christmas, and it was good. I love my family so much and appreciate everyday the love and support they give.

We packed up our tree yesterday (it's fake) and put all of the ornaments and lights away in anticipation of next years celebration. I will miss Christmas...but I am excited to move on to the new year. My new years wish isn't for more money (although that would be nice) or for more stuff (I have entirely too much), but for the patience to enjoy the little things while they are happening.

Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

Ivy said...

We have the same Christmas Eve tradition, new pajamas! I'm glad you guys had such a nice Christmas! We had a baking day too, well, I did anyway! That action picture of Megan is awesome, good job patrick! I watched all your elf yourselfs, I love the one with the dog! Happy new year!