Friday, December 5, 2008

Reversible Safety Cape

Chris asked if I would make a Christmas present for his friends son (they live in Samoa). I said sure, but honestly couldn't think of what to make a 4 year old. Then it hit me...Superman cape. I thought let's do one better, let's make a reversible cape one side batman and the other superman. COOL!!

I looked on the internet and saw directions for a safety cape (love it) that means there will be nothing tied to their neck. Which makes me feel better knowing my son and how he would leap off of furniture when he wore a cape. Anyway...instructions were super simple and I followed them making a template (gotta love butcher paper). I modified it a little bit by making it shorter and by covering the elastic for the arm holes as well as making it reversible. Making it in my opinion super cute.


Batman Emblem


Superman Emblem - it came out awesome!!!
I bought some fusible web on paper from the thirft store a year ago for 50 cents. It is awesome!! I can now make the cutest appliques. The Superman was difficult cutting out, but it was worth it seeing how good it looks. The Yellow is Cord fabric for both the superman and
Batman emblems. I then used a simple red cotton to go on top of it. For strength I stitched around each of them.





2 comments:

joelandbecca said...

Wow! Talented! Seriously, that looks amazing! Great job!

And Happy Birthday Chris!

Allison said...

I made some of these capes - or similar ones to sell this holiday. Everyone loves them. I haven't seen the safety one though - good idea!